The latest installment of the Bourne series is coming out soon on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD. The movie is awesome. There’s a lot of action, mystery and drama in the new Jason Bourne movie. And for once, most of the story actually takes place in the United States. After opting out of the last movie, Matt Damon returns to reprise his role as the kick-ass Jason Bourne. He’s perfect for the role and makes me want to be him. The PG-13 rated Jason Bourne is available now on digital HD, and will be available on on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and on demand on December 6th. Note: Universal Pictures Home Entertainment sent me the movie for review on my dad blog. As always, the opinions expressed are mine and I am not obligated to write a positive review.
The Story So Far
In the first movie (Bourne Identity), Jason tries to find out who he is after he lost his memory. While he digs into his past, the CIA sends people to kill him. Jason eventually learns that he’s part of the Treadstone program that created enhanced assassins. In the second film (Bourne Supremacy), Jason is living a peaceful life in India when his girlfriend is killed. Meanwhile, the CIA is looking for Jason because they think he killed some of their agents in an op gone wrong. In the third story (Bourne Ultimatum), a journalist is investigating a story about Jason, which draws the attention of the people behind the Blackbriar program, which is an upgrade of Treadstone. Jason eventually finds the truth about Blackbriar. Meanwhile, the Blackbriar people tries to kill Jason before he can expose them. The fourth movie (Bourne Legacy) is about a different character (played by Jeremy Renner) and the story isn’t really relevant to the new Jason Bourne film.
First Treadstone, Then Blackbriar, Now Iron Hand
The story starts off with Jason Bourne in Greece. He now makes a meager living as a fighter in a gambling ring. Meanwhile, Nicky Parsons hacks into the CIA and copies a bunch of top secret files related to Jason Bourne and other black ops programs. Nicky is someone from Jason’s past. Heather Lee, who is in charge of cyber security at the CIA, tracks down the hacker and leads the operation to apprehend Nicky and Jason. Nicky eventually meets up with Jason. At first Jason is s reluctant to get involve, but then he learns his father might have been involved with the Treadstone program. He’s finally all in when the CIA sends a foreign assassin to kill him. At this point, the movie turns into the typical Bourne movie with Jason digging deeper into his past, and the CIA trying their best to kill Jason to protect their new Iron Hand program.
Matt Damon is Back
As I mentioned previously, Matt Damon is back as Jason Bourne. Jeremy Renner was the star in the previous movie. He played a different character, but I like Matt’s character a lot better. Newcomers are Tommy Lee Jones (CIA Director Robert Dewey) and Alicia Vikander (Heather Lee). I thought the were both excellent. Other cast members include Julia Stiles (Nicky Parsons), Vincent Cassel (Asset), Riz Ahmed (Aaron Kalloor), Ato Essandoh (Craig Jeffers), Scott Shepherd (Director NI Edwin Russell), Bill Camp (Malcolm Smith), Vinzenz Kiefer (Christian Dassault), Stephen Kunken (Baumen), Ben Stylianou (Greek Van Driver), Kaya Yuzuki (hacker), Matthew O’Neill (lead hub tech), and Lizzie Phillips (cyber hub tech). Jason Bourne was directed by Paul Greengrass.
Jason Bourne Special Features
The 4K Ultra HD combo pack includes the 123-minute movie in 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital HD (UltraViolet) formats. Bonus features on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD include:
- Bringing Back Bourne – Matt Damon and Director Paul Greengrass discuss how they brought a beloved character back to the big screen
- Bourne to Fight – A behind-the-scenes look at the fight sequences in Jason Bourne
- Bare-Knuckle Boxing – Matt Damon discusses his love for boxing and how he prepared for the bare-knuckle fight sequences
- Close Quarters – A behind-the-scenes look at the brutal fight between Jason Bourne and Christian Dassault
- Underground Rumble – Matt Damon, Vincent Cassel, and fight coordinator Roger Yuan discuss how they staged Bourne’s final showdown with The Asset
- The Athens Escape – Matt Damon, stunt coordinator Gary Powell and second unit director Simon Crane discuss the challenges of shooting a chase sequence through cramped city streets
- Las Vegas Showdown – For the final act of Jason Bourne, filmmakers wanted something bigger and bolder than ever before. Here’s an inside look at how they pulled it off
- Convention Chaos – Join the cast and crew on location in Las Vegas as they film the final act of Jason Bourne
- Shutting Down the Strip – A behind-the-scenes look at one of the wildest car chases in Bourne history
Jason Bourne Synopsis
Matt Damon (Bourne Franchise, The Martian) is back and this time it’s personal in Jason Bourne. The action-packed fifth installment of the blockbuster franchise is available on Digital HD now, and 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and On Demand on December 6, 2016, from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Nearly a decade since fans last saw the former operative, the explosive return brings Jason Bourne into a whole new era, revealing key secrets about Bourne’s origins to a new generation. The 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD include commentary from the cast, filmmakers, stunt performers and fight coordinators, plus behind-the-scenes features that take viewers inside the making of the film’s intense stunt choreography and one of the wildest car chases in Bourne history.
More info: Jason Bourne Blu-ray