After our two days at Disney World and Disney All-Star Resort, we took an Uber to begin our two days at Universal Orlando. For the second half of our Orlando vacation, we stayed at Loews Royal Pacific Resort (6300 Hollywood Way, Orlando, FL 32819). The Royal Pacific is the most beautiful and most expensive hotel we’ve ever stayed at. Our room featured two queen beds and can accommodate up to five people. As I said, the Royal Pacific is a beautiful hotel inside and out. As you can guess by it’s name, the hotel has a tropical theme — almost like you’re on a remote island in the tropics somewhere. The resort even features a gigantic lagoon-style swimming pool. It was a great way to cool off at night.
We paid $274 for Saturday night and $254 for Sunday night last August. I’m frugal, so this was more than what I normally pay for lodging. But one of the benefits of staying at Royal Pacific Resort is the free Universal Express Unlimited passes. For the five of us, the passes would have cost us about $950. For those of you who don’t know, Universal Express Unlimited passes let you cut in front of people who don’t have the pass at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. Based on my experience, you’ll want the pass in the summer because the lines are long and most people seem to have the pass. So if you don’t have one, you’ll end up waiting an hour or longer for the cool rides.
Staying at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort also gives you early access to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The Universal Express pass doesn’t apply to some of the Harry Potter rides, so early admission to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a big deal as far as I’m concern. BTW, we also got early access to the Minions ride.
Another reason we stayed at the Royal Pacific is because they offer water taxi service to the Universal parks. It takes about five to ten minutes by boat. The hotel is close to the parks, so we could have walked if we wanted to. My guess is that the walk would’ve been about 15-20 minutes. But my kids were getting tired from all the walking at the parks (we already spent two days at Disney World), so I didn’t see the point of walking to and from the parks.
Loews Royal Pacific Resort Pro’s
- Includes Universal Express Unlimited passes
- Early park admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Free water taxi ride to both Universal theme parks and CityWalk
- Giant lagoon-style swimming pool
- The resort is beautiful
- Very friendly staff
- On-site dining
- Room door opens to hotel hallway so you can walk around in an air-condition environment
- Sink outside of bathroom
- Access to game room
- Free fitness center
- Laundry services
- Town car service for only $12.50 (short trips)
Loews Royal Pacific Resort Con’s
- Room is expensive at $250+ a night
- Didn’t provide lanyards for the Universal passes so I had to pull them out of my wallet for each ride
- The passes are printed on paper so they can tear if you get them wet on the water rides
- They were supposed to notify us when our room was ready, but they didn’t
- We had to wait for our luggage because the hotel staff was too busy
- Parking is extra — $22 per night for self park
Loews Royal Pacific Resort Amenities
- Two queen beds
- Flat panel TV
- In-room safe
- Iron and ironing board
- Coffee maker
- Mini refrigerator