Let’s start off the week with a giveaway. Thanks to Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, I’m giving away the Koala Kid DVD on my giveaway blog. Never heard of Koala Kid? Neither have I. According to the press material, the DVD is an animated story that features the voices of Rob Schneider, Tim Curry and Alan Cumming. Koala Kid will be available tomorrow (April 30th) at Walmart and Walmart.com.
Koala Kid Synopsis
Journey down under and meet a whole new breed of hero in this laugh-filled, action-packed animated adventure with an all-star voice cast, including Rob Schneider, Tim Curry and Alan Cumming. Johnny (Schneider) is a rare white koala bear who just wants to fit in and make friends. But when a twist of fate mistakenly transforms him into a fearless protector of animals, called Koala Kid, Johnny finds himself in over his head on a thrilling trek across the outback. With help from his hilarious new sidekicks, including a crafty Tasmanian devil, a lovable lizard and a boomerang-flinging female koala, Johnny may just outwit a villainous crocodile named Bog (Cumming) and become a true hero after all.
Ar part of this giveaway, I would like to share some koala bear facts:
- Did you know a wombat’s closest living relatives are the koala?
- Koalas sleep for a total of 20 hours a day. While this might seem like a lot, this is because their diet is mostly made up of eucalyptus leaves, which aren’t very nutritious.
- Just like kangaroos, young koalas are known as joeys and take around a year to fully develop.
- A koala’s belly fur can reflect solar radiation. Who needs solar panels? Just us measly humans, eh?
- The koala brains take up just 60% of its skull. The rest is full of fluid which has been said to act as a shock absorber, cushioning the poor koala if they fall from the tree.
- Koalas aren’t very social animals and spend just 15 minutes a day on socializing. What a moody bunch.
- From pregnancy, it only takes 30-35 days for a koala to give birth. When the joey is born he is a miniscule 0.5 g.
- Koalas live on average from 13 to 18 years in the wild. Females usually live longer as the males live a much more hazardous lifestyle.
- Several famous and political leaders have had their pictures taken with koalas. These include Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Harry, Pope John Paul II, US President Bill Clinton, Soviet premier Mikhail Gorbachev and South African President Nelson Mandela.
- On Paul McCartney’s / Michael Jackson’s duet album Say Say Say, The song “Ode to a Koala Bear” appears on the B-side.
- As cute as Koalas are, as with most wild animals, they cannot legally be kept as a pet in Australia or anywhere else.
Koala Kid Giveaway
Thanks to Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, a reader of my dad blog will win the Koala Kid DVD. The winner will be randomly selected. The deadline to enter the giveaway is Tuesday, May 7th (Eastern time). The giveaway is limited to readers in the USA. If you don’t see an entry form below, please wait for the Rafflecopter giveaway form to load (or refresh the browser).
[Disclosure: I have not received anything for hosting this contest. The giveaway prize will be provided by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, but they are not the administrators of the giveaway on my dad blog. I am not liable for the prize. As always, the opinions expressed are mine and I am not obligated to write a positive review.]