Last month, LiftMaster upgraded my garage door opener with a system that features MyQ Technology. My new LiftMaster garage door opener is super cool. It’s geeky, but easy to use. With their MyQ smart home technology, I can check the status of my garage door online or with a smartphone (iPhone, Android and Blackberry). Not only can I remotely check to see if my garage is open or close, I can also remotely open and close my garage door. Like I said before, their system is really cool. And thanks to LiftMaster, I’m giving away their system on my dad blog. The LiftMaster prize pack consists of a garage door opener with MyQ Technology, free installation, Wireless Keyless Entry, and MyQ-enabled accessories like the Garage Door Monitor and the LiftMaster Internet Gateway.
Here is what I received from LiftMaster (giveaway prize pack may vary):
- Model 8550 Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with MyQ Technology
- Internet Gateway
- Garage Door Monitor
- Smart Control Panel
- Wireless Keyless Entry
- 3-button Premium Remote Control
Model 8550 Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with MyQ Technology
Here is what I like about my new LiftMaster 8550 garage door opener:
- It features MyQ technology, which lets me open/close my garage door with a smartphone or computer.
- It uses a belt drive system so it’s really quiet, which is great because the girls’ room is above the garage.
- The system includes a battery backup in case of power failure. When we lived in an apartment, our car was trapped inside the garage when the power went out. If only it had a battery backup.
- It includes a motion sensor that automatically turns on the garage door opener lights, then automatically turns off the lights after a few minutes.
- It provides audible and visual warnings that the garage door is about to close when using the Timer-to-Close or remote closing features.
- The enclosed gear case provides continuous lubrication for longer life and smoother operation.
- It includes a lifetime motor and belt warranty, 5-year parts warranty, and 1-year warranty on battery backup battery.
This cool gadget connects your MyQ-enabled devices to the Internet. With this gateway, you can monitor and operate your garage door opener, or turn your lights on or off lights from your computer. If you want to go mobile, you can download an app to monitor and operate your garage door and house lights. There’s an app for the iPhone, Android and Blackberry smartphones. I tried out this feature on both my computer and iPod Touch. I didn’t have any problems monitoring my garage door with either one. It was also easy to close and open my garage door using my computer and iPod. BTW, you have log into the web or smartphone app in order to use this feature. It’s more work, but you don’t want to accidentally open/close your garage door or have anyone opening your garage door, do you? [Note: the gateway requires an annual subscription, which is free for the first year. After that it’s a few dollars a year according to the installation tech.]
Garage Door Monitor
This is something I have not seen before. It’s a device that tells you the status of your garage door. With the device, you don’t have to go downstairs or outside to see if you accidentally left the garage door open. In addition, you can use the garage door monitor to close the door remotely. The MyQ enabled technology allows you to monitor and close up to four garage doors. The device also lets you know when the garage door is being opened. BTW, you can place the device anywhere in the house as long as you have a power outlet close by.
Smart Control Panel
The LiftMaster Smart Control Panel is a serious upgrade to my old control panel, which was just a one-button open/close switch. The smart control panel can open and close the garage door like my old switch. But now I can also use it to manually turn the garage door opener lights on and off. The panel also displays the time, garage temperature, and system diagnostics information. As if that’s not enough, you can also use the the smart control panel to program additional remotes. The old fashion way involves climbing up a ladder and pushing a special learn button inside the garage door opener system to program the remote.
3-button Premium Remote Control
This little remote can control up to three garage door openers or MyQ enabled light accessories. That’s really useful if you have multiple LiftMaster garage door openers and MyQ enabled light accessories. The remote also features Security+2.0 rolling code technology that uses a new code at every click. This makes it almost impossible for anyone to steal your remote control signal.
Wireless Keyless Entry
I love the keyless entry, which attaches to the outside of your garage. It’s really handy when you want to go on a walk or bike ride, but don’t want to bring your keys along. With the keyless entry, all you have to do is enter a 4-digit pin number to open or close the garage door. You can change your pin at any time. In addition, you can even create a temporary pin for visitors. The temporary pin can be set for a number of openings or number of hours.
Thanks to LiftMaster, a reader of my dad blog will win a LiftMaster prize pack consisting of LiftMaster garage door opener with MyQ Technology, installation, Wireless Keyless Entry, and MyQ-enabled accessories like the Garage Door Monitor and the LiftMaster Internet Gateway. The value of this prize pack is about $550. The winner will be randomly selected. The deadline to enter the giveaway is Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 (Pacific time). The giveaway is limited to readers located in the U.S. To enter the giveaway, answer this question: what do you like best about the LiftMaster garage door opener?
Six Bonus Entries (leave a separate comment for each entry)
- Like LiftMaster on Facebook
- Follow LiftMaster on Twitter
- Click on the Facebook like button above the comments area and then on my Facebook page, answer this question: do you like the ability to remotely monitor your garage door?
- Follow Daddy Forever on Twitter and tweet out a message like this (or use the retweet button above the comments area):
Win a high-tech LiftMaster garage door opener @daddyforever dad blog: http://daddyforever.com/2012/03/21/myq/
- Write about this giveaway on your blog or Facebook page with a working link to this page: http://daddyforever.com/2012/03/21/myq/ (include your blog post URL for verification)
- Subscribe to my blog via RSS or email:
— don’t forget to click on the confirmation link after you subscribe. Note: you still have to be subscribed when I announce the winner.
[Disclosure: The giveaway prize will be provided by LiftMaster, but they are not the administrators of the giveaway on my blog. I am not liable for the prize. I received a prize pack for review purposes. As always, the opinions expressed are mine and I am not obligated to write a positive review.]