Over the weekend, I tried out a STIX signal booster. It’s a cell phone booster for your car and it works great. Thanks to the RepeaterStore (Twitter | Blog | Facebook), I’m also giving away a Cell Ranger STIX In-Car Kit (MSRP $149). We get pretty good cell coverage in our area, but sometimes we do hit an area with a very weak signal (like when we travel to the Oregon coast — only one bar). We didn’t travel to the beach over the weekend, but I did noticed the signal booster improved the cell signal from three bars to four bars when I was inside a parking garage. I was kinda expecting some static, but the connection was still very clear when I made a call with the help of the booster.
Installing the unit was easy. You place the magnetic antenna on the car’s roof or trunk (don’t worry, it won’t fall off while you’re driving) and then plug the other end into the car’s cigarette lighter. The cable from the antenna to the unit can be run through a door or trunk seal (closing the door or trunk on the cable will not damage it).
The Cell Ranger STIX is different from traditional cell phone repeaters. It features a microprocessor that actively monitors the frequency and concentrates it’s power where it is needed. The Cell Ranger STIX works with both cell phone and data cards. It supports dual band (PCS 1900 MHz and Cellular 800 MHz sub bands) and works with most US carriers (doesn’t work with Nextel). The Cell Ranger STIX would make an excellent gift for someone that is on the go a lot.
BTW, the Repeater Store offers a range of products for mobile professionals. Here are three examples:
- Wi-Ex zBoost SOHO YX545 Dual Band Repeater Kit
For boosting cell phone signal at home or in a small office
- Wilson DB Pro 841262
This complete home/office repeater kit includes all the antennas and cable required to make a full repeater kit, capable of covering up to 5,000 sq ft with wireless coverage
- Wilson SignalBoost Pro Amplifier Kit
This USB powered repeater kit is designed for use in the home/office or on the road
Cell Ranger STIX Giveaway
Thanks to RepeaterStore, I’m giving away a Cell Ranger STIX In-Car Kit on my dad blog. The winner will be randomly selected. To enter the giveaway, tell me what kind of cell phone you use in the comments area below. The deadline to enter the giveaway is Tuesday, December 14th (Pacific time). The giveaway is open to people in both the US and Canada. Good luck everyone!
Four Bonus Entries (leave a separate comment for each entry)
- Subscribe to my blog via email:
— don’t forget to click on the confirmation link after you subscribe. Note: you still have to be subscribed when I announce the winner.
- Follow Daddy Forever on Twitter and tweet out a message like this (or use the retweet button below): “Win a cell phone signal booster ~ http://daddyforever.com/2010/11/30/repeaterstore/” (include your Twitter URL or username in the comments area for verification)
- Click on the Facebook like button below and then write on my Facebook fan page to let me know if you plan to keep the signal booster or give it away as a present
- Write about this giveaway on your blog or Facebook page with a working link to this page: http://daddyforever.com/2010/11/30/repeaterstore/ (include your blog post URL or Facebook username for verification)
[Disclosure: The giveaway prize will be provided by RepeaterStore, but RepeaterStore is not a sponsor or administrator of the giveaway. I received a cell booster for review on my dad blog. As always, the opinions expressed are mine and I am not obligated to write a positive review.]