Scholastic Media sent me a review copy of I SPY Spooky Mansion video game for the Wii. Nice! As some of you know, the kids and I love Halloween. We think it’s the best holiday of the year. As you probably can guess, I SPY Spooky Mansion is perfect for a ghoulish family like our’s. Yeah, I know, Halloween is over. While I SPY Spooky Mansion is a spooktacular activity for a Halloween party, I think the Wii video game is actually fun year round. Don’t let the haunted house setting fool you. If your children enjoy I SPY, then they’ll enjoy this game throughout the year. My kids did and the little monsters wouldn’t even let me play.
What is I SPY Spooky Mansion about?
The Wii game is based on the I SPY book series. My kids love the I Spy books and it’s no surprise that they love the video game too. In the I SPY Spooky Mansion game, you are lured into a haunted house by a skeleton. Once you are in the mysterious mansion, you are trapped and have to find the secret way out. And in order to that, you have to explore each room and solve I Spy riddles (basically finding items in the room). In addition to the riddles, you can also break codes, solve mazes, find the eyeball, bob for apples, control a submarine, collect beetles, catch flies, make bats sleep, play with magic mirrors, and move spiders.
What I like about I SPY Spooky Mansion
- The game is easy to play — even my five year old can play
- The riddles are read out loud to you — makes it easy for younger readers
- The rooms in the haunted house are well lit (you can adjust the brightness level of the room, but we didn’t have to)
- Not all of the hidden objects are easy to find (can be very challenging at times)
- Up to four people can play at the same time
What I didn’t like about I SPY Spooky Mansion
- The remote seems to be too sensitive for my five year old (you can adjust the sensitivity of the Wii remote, but the kids won’t let me pause the game)
- The game is so much fun that the kids won’t let me play (makes it a little hard to write a review)
- The game is not scary, which is actually perfect for the little ones who scare easily
Which platforms are supported?
In addition to the Nintendo Wii, I SPY Spooky Mansion is also available for Windows XP, Mac, Mac OS X, Nintendo DS, Leapster, the TAG Reading System, iPhone, and iPod Touch.
What is the ESRB rating?
I SPY Spooky Mansion is rated E for everyone. We have not made it out of the haunted house yet, but so far I have not seen or heard anything parents would be upset about.
How much does I SPY Spooky Mansion cost?
I SPY Spooky Mansion for the Wii is priced at $29.99. I think the game would make an excellent Christmas gift for people who like to solve puzzles and find things.