Hometown Seeds sent this dad blogger a pack of survival seeds. In my opinion, gardening is a great spring time activity for children. My kids love gardening. They love planting the seeds in the spring, soiling their clean white clothes, watering the plants, watching the vegetables grow, and harvesting the garden. They love it all. OK, they don’t love weeding. No one in their right mind loves weeding.
Thanks to my latest sponsor, Hometown Seeds, I’m giving away a pack of survival seeds on my dad blog. The survival seeds pack consists of Lincoln Peas, Detroit Dark Red Beets, Kentucky Wonder Brown Pole Bean, Yolo Wonder Pepper, Champion Radish, Lucullus Swiss Chard, Black Beauty Zucchini, Waltham Butternut Winter Squash, Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach, Scarlet Nantes Carrots, Long Green Improved Cucumber, Rutgers Tomato, Golden Acre Cabbage, Romaine Paris Island Cos Lettuce, Golden Bantem Sweet Corn, and Yellow Sweet Spanish Onion.
What are survival seeds?
Excellent question. Until Hometown Seeds emailed me, I have never heard of survival seeds. And no, survival seeds won’t help dads and moms with teenagers survive parenthood. However, during an extended food shortage, survival seeds can be used to grow food for the season. In addition, their seeds can be harvested for planting for the following season because they are open-pollinated. Survival seeds is essentially a survival food storage solution for emergency situations.
Can dads and moms plant survival seeds now?
Yes, parents can plant survival seeds now or five to ten years from now. Survival seeds are just like regular seeds, except they sound cool. Plus survival seeds have a longer shelf life and they can reproduce seeds for future harvests — unlike terminator seeds that have been genetically modified to prevent unauthorized seed-saving by growers (anyone see Food, Inc.?).
What’s so special about Hometown survival seeds?
- Resealable triple-layered mylar packaging
- Enough seeds to plant 3/4 of an acre (if only I had that much land)
- Non-hybrid survival seeds produce true seeds for replanting in the future
- Optimum water content to increase storage life
- Double water tight packaging
- 5-year minimum shelf life (up to 10 years if frozen)
- Hometown seeds are 100% GMO (genetically modified organism) free
Vegetable Seeds Giveaway
Here is the Hometown survival seeds pack I’m giving away on my dad blog:
- Lincoln Peas, 5 oz
- Detroit Dark Red Beets, 10 grams
- Kentucky Wonder Brown Pole Bean, 5 oz
- Yolo Wonder Pepper, 5 grams
- Champion Radish, 10 grams
- Lucullus Swiss Chard, 10 grams
- Black Beauty Zucchini, 10 grams
- Waltham Butternut Winter Squash, 10 grams
- Bloomsdale Longstanding Spinach, 10 grams
- Scarlet Nantes Carrots, 10 grams
- Long Green Improved Cucumber, 10 grams
- Rutgers Tomato, 5 grams
- Golden Acre Cabbage, 10 grams
- Romaine Paris Island Cos Lettuce, 5 grams
- Golden Bantem Sweet Corn, 5 oz
- Yellow Sweet Spanish Onion, 10 grams
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment on my dad blog telling me about about your favorite vegetable. The giveaway is limited to readers in the the USA. The deadline to enter is Monday, April 5th (Pacific time). The winner will be randomly selected.
Bonus Entries (leave a separate comment for each entry)
- Leave a comment about about your favorite vegetable on Daddy Forever’s Facebook fan page
- Tweet about this giveaway or about your favorite vegetable ONCE on Twitter and include @daddyforever and #giveaway in the tweet (include your Twitter URL or username for verification)
[Disclosure: I received a pack of survival seeds for hosting this giveaway on my dad blog.]