Earlier this month, Birkenstock sent me a pair of their Boston Soft Footbed (Taupe Suede) to try out. Cool. My first Birkenstock. My wife has billions of Birkenstock sandals (what is it about women and their love of shoes?), but they never appealed to me. Until now. I think other dads will like them too. The Birkenstock Boston is great for the dad on the go. You can easily slide your feet in and out of them. I use them all the time for running errands and for taking the kids to and from the bus stop. I also like the closed-toe design, which helps keep your toes warm and dry. Just perfect for the rainy Pacific Northwest.
Here’s what I like about the Boston Soft Footbed:
- Birkenstock shoes are made from cork — no trees are cut or destroyed (the bark is peeled away and then allowed to re-grow)
- Reinforced toe area — comes in handy when you feel like kicking something really hard
- Adjustable strap for adjusting the clogs to the width of your feet
- Closed toe style keeps your feet dry and warm
- It’s easy to slide your feet in and out of them
- The shoes mold over time to your feet (this is according to Birkenstock — the clogs are too new for me to verify this)
- The clogs look like real shoes
What I didn’t like about the Boston Soft Footbed:
- The tongue sometimes sag when your feet are not in them — then you have to lift it up to slide your foot in
- Kinda stiff — my wife said that’s because the clogs are new and I have to break them in
- It’s hard to run in them (my kids like to play the make dad chase me game)
The Boston is one of several shoes in Birkenstock’s Soft Footbed line. They are designed for dads and moms with low arches, sensitive feet, or those who just want a bit more cushion. The Birkenstock’s Soft Footbed line features cork construction with an extra layer of soft foam, filled with millions of tiny air bubbles.
Birkenstock Boston Soft Footbed Details
- Upper material
Suede — Thick and supple leathers without additional dyes to keep the leather breathable, durable, and comfortable.
Soft footbed — A foam layer is inserted between the cork layer and the suede liner of the original Birkenstock footbed. Millions of microscopic air bubbles cushion your feet while providing moderate arch support.
- Sole material
EVA — Flexible, durable, lightweight, shock resisting soling material.
Oh yeah, a pair of Birkenstocks would make an excellent gift for a dad or mom.