I must be a bad dad because I missed the news yesterday about Harry Potter the Ride. Apparently, Universal Orlando will open the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the spring of 2010. According to the Universal Orlando Resort, guests will be able to sip Butterbeer in Three Broomsticks, buy Extendable Ears at Zonko’s, and experience attractions that bring the stories of Harry Potter to life.
Cool. The Little Princess and I read the Harry Potter series this past summer. She’s pretty excited about the theme park. I am too, except I have no idea how I can afford to go there next year. Florida is on the opposite coast from us and it’s expensive to fly a family of six all the way over there. Maybe we could use our broomsticks, Portkeys, or Floo Powder. Look out muggles! Here comes daddy and his Forever wizards.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Highlights
- At the entrance of Hogsmeade, billowing steam and an iconic whistle signal the arrival of the Hogwarts Express into Hogsmeade station
- Across the way is Zonko’s, a joke shop with a collection of tricks and jokes, including Extendable Ears, Boxing Telescopes and Sneakoscopes
- Honeydukes is next door and full of treats like Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Bott’s Every-Flavour Beans
- The Three Broomsticks and adjacent Hog’s Head pub will feature traditional British fare and drinks including Butterbeer and pumpkin juice
- Across from the Three Broomsticks is The Owlery, where owls roost and await their next delivery
- The Owl Post sends letters with a certified Hogsmeade postmark and sells official stamps from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Ollivanders wand shop is an incredible interactive experience where the wand chooses the wizard
- Completing Hogsmeade is Dervish and Banges, the magical instruments and equipment shop featuring Quidditch equipment, Triwizard apparel, Spectrespecs and Remembralls
- The first attraction, Dragon Challenge, features a twin high-speed roller coaster with many iconic elements from the Triwizard Tournament
- Next is Flight of the Hippogriff, a family coaster simulating a Hippogriff training flight over the grounds of Hogwarts castle
- Located in Hogwarts castle, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is a thrilling new state-of-the-art attraction that uses entirely new technology to bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in ways never before experienced
- Before exiting back into Hogsmeade, Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods is full of Ministry of Magic and magical creatures merchandise, Omnioculars, and even remote control Golden Snitches